Friday, September 12, 2008

THE BIG GAME


Tomorrow is the annual Iowa vs. Iowa State football game.  For those of you not from around here, this is a big deal.  The two schools have a long standing rivalry.  It's mostly a good natured thing, and that's the way it should be.  Though, the schools stopped playing each other in 1934, and if I'm not mistaken, it was because the good natured rivalry got out of hand.  Iowa didn't play Iowa State again until 1977.  I love sports, but it's unfortunate how often people lose perspective over them.  
I am and always will be a Hawkeye, so of course that's who I'm rooting for.  I've only missed a few Iowa home games since I was a student in the 80's.  Our tailgating may be is a little different than the college days, but we always have a great time! 

Iowa and Iowa State started their intrastate rivalry back in 1894, and no I wasn't a freshman that year!  Since they began playing again in '77, Iowa has won 20 times to Iowa State's 11 victories.  In the last ten years though, Iowa has only won 3 out of 10.  It doesn't seem to matter which team is better in this rivalry.  The kids really get psyched up for it and it's anyone's game!
And while I like a good close game and I want it to be nice and friendly, I'm still fan enough to want the Hawks to beat the tar out of the 'Clones!  GO HAWKS!  BEAT STATE!

No comments: