Sunday, February 1, 2009

DAY 3: TO BE TRUE BLUE SHOW

A fountain at Tohono Chul Park.

I think this baby would look great in my front yard.


Today we went to the 'To Be True Blue' bead show at the Double Tree Inn in Tucson.   It was a good show with lots of vendors.  I got some nice gemstone beads that I'm quite happy about.  I have to try to go back before we leave though, because when we got there the electricity in the main ballroom wasn't working and it was too dark to see anything.  I saw some people that I know, including the always exuberant, Susan Lenart Kazmer.  Susan is a jewelry artist who works in mixed metals, found objects and resin.  Her work is like no one else's that I have ever seen.  She's also a great teacher and I'm going to be lucky enough to take one of her classes at the Bead and Button Show in June.  We also stopped to chat with Andrew Thornton from Green Girl Studios.  They do such nice work.  I especially like their shibuichi pieces, which are made by casting silver and copper together.  I love the patinas that they get on their pieces.
We had lunch at the Tohono Chul Park.  It's a 49 acre private, non-profit park in north Tucson.  It's located in the middle of urban sprawl and yet you'd never know it.  It's a beautiful place whose mission is to keep the park natural Sonoran desert so that people can escape the chaos of the city, even if it's just for a little while.  It really is a little oasis.

3 comments:

Jeanne Craine said...

I so enjoy reading about your adventures in Tucson!! I look forward to it each day!

Suz said...

Oh...did you just go for lunch or for the tea. It's so beautiful in that garden!

Tonya Davidson said...

I live less than a mile from Tohono Chul. It's a great place to hang out for tea and lunch!
If you have never been, put on your list the Desert Museum and Karchner Caverns for next time. The caverns are amazing....and I'm really not into that kinda thing. Sitting at the top of Gates Pass as sunset with a picnic ranks right up there on my list of romantic things to do too! Next year....there's always next year.