Wednesday, January 14, 2009

ISN"T THAT WHAT WE ALL WANT?



Today I read a letter that President-elect Obama wrote to his daughters that will appear in the January 18th issue of Parade Magazine.  In the letter he talks about how he was inspired by them to run for the Presidency and about all of the things that he wants for them.  Here's a paragraph of his letter.

"When I was a young man, I thought that life was all about me-about how I'd make my way in the world, become successful, and get the things I want.   But then the two of you came into my world with all of your curiosity and mischief and those smiles that never fail to fill my heart and light up my day.  And suddenly, all my big plans for myself didn't seem so important anymore.  I soon found that the greatest joy in my life was the I saw in yours.  And I realized that my own life wouldn't count for much unless I was able to ensure that you had every opportunity for happiness and fulfilment in yours.  In the end, girls, that's why I ran for President: because of what I want for you and for every child in this nation".

He goes on to say that he hopes that his girls will take up the work of fighting injustices and helping others to have the advantages that they have had.  Not just because they have an obligation to others, but because they have an obligation to themselves to reach their full potential by realizing there are things bigger than themselves.  

Isn't this what we all want?  Whether we have children or not, as we get older we realize there are things more important than ourselves and that we should strive for a world where those weaker than us, young or old, are given a chance to make good in the world.  If they are given that chance, maybe they will go on to to do the same for someone else, and on and on and on. Isn't that why we're all here?

Read the whole letter here.

No comments: