Tuesday, January 6, 2009

CELEBRITY SURGEON GENERAL?

Dr. Sanjay Gupta


I read today that the Obama team is considering Dr. Sanjay Gupta as our next Surgeon General.  Usually, I am really opposed to giving celebrities important positions in our government.  I generally think there would be have to be someone more qualified for jobs like these than someone whose job, of late has been as a contributor on health issues for CNN and who seems on the surface to be a celebrity doctor.  In this case however, I think he's a great choice.  I hadn't realized that he was still an active neurosurgeon, practicing at both Emory and at Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta.  He's published many articles in major medical journals.  Most importantly, I think he's someone who's out there on the cutting edge of what's current in medicine.  I realize there certainly are other's more qualified to set health care policy, but a competent, familiar face might be extremely effective at helping Americans embrace the idea that preventive medicine is at least in part an answer to our health care crisis.  I think he's an inspired choice.  What do you think?

1 comment:

Jeanne Craine said...

sonnuI heard this earlier in the day also, and I think he would be a very wise choice!