Tuesday, June 16, 2009

WISE OWLS

Here's a Barred Owl in the eaves of my neighbor's house.  Do you think maybe they should clean their gutters?  

A better photo of a Barred Owl.  I can't seem to get my owls to pose so well.


I know I've posted about these guys before (don't worry, no owl barf pictures today, but see my March 24th 2009 post, if you dare!), but I just can't get over how amazing they are.  They've been really active again lately.  We must have a new population of rabbits or mice in the yard.  Lately two owls are hanging out on the north side of my house, sitting on either the downspouts or the eave brackets close together.  Every time I venture to that side of my yard, they fly off, up into a tree or to the neighbor's downspout.  I hope they will start to get used to me, like they did last year and let me get close enough to get some good pictures of them.  You should hear them call to each other through the woods.  There are quite a few of them in the area, judging by how many calls I hear.  To hear what they sound like, click here.  

3 comments:

Karen Elmquist said...

I'm so envious, I've never seen an owl and after listening to the sound clip, I've never even heard one either. It seems so unlikely that there wouldn't be any here by the lake, I'll have to investigate. We certainly have plenty of mice, rabbits and snakes for them to munch on!

Cristina Leonard said...

I would be very surprised if you don't have them up there, Karen. Maybe they are just stealthy!

Karen Elmquist said...

Yes, government modified genetically altered stealth owls. THAT'S why I never see them!