Friday, June 5, 2009

BEAD AND BUTTON: DAY 6

Rings made by Celie Fago.  The one's we made are similar to these, but of course not nearly as nice.

Paul's boot full 'o beer at Mader's.

I can't believe this week is almost over.  It was really fun and I had some of the best classes that I've ever had.  I loved seeing my friends from Miami, Arizona, New Mexico, Ohio, Canada, etc, but I'm ready to go home.  It's a long exhausting week, that's over before you know it.  
Today, I had a class with the amazing Celie Fago.  Celie is a teacher and jewelry artist form Vermont and if you ever get a chance to take a class from her, grab it.  I've taken 5 classes from her, more than from any single other teacher and I'd take a class in almost anything she wanted to teach.  One reason is that no matter what the project is, I always learn something huge that I can take away and use in my own work.  Another reason is that she is such a kind, patient and skilled teacher.  She's the sort of teacher that other teachers aspire to be like.  I know that I do.  Today we made rings from bronze, which we will finish tomorrow, by embellishing them with rivets and beads.  They are very ancient looking and I really like them.  The technique was so simple and yet produces such an elegant result.  I forgot to take photos of them in class while they were in progress, but I will post pictures of the finished ones tomorrow.
After class, Gail and I wandered around the show floor, talking to friends and buying a few things.  I don't buy a lot anymore.  But I did get a really pretty, very large Oolite stone pendant that came from Australia from one of my favorite vendors, Gary Wilson.  I really should stay away from his booth because it's really dangerous for me.  I'll take pictures of my goodies and post them tomorrow.
Tonight, Paul, Gail and I went to a Milwaukee institution called Mader's.  Mader's is a really old German restaurant with the most amazing food.  I thought we would burst.   There is a street festival going on downtown here tonight and we had to fight our way through it on our way to and from the restaurant.  Loud, bad music and lots of drunk people, so that part wasn't fun, but overall another great day.

2 comments:

Lisa Crone said...

Hi there! I am so glad I came across your blog! Thank you so much for sharing such great photos and stories for those of us who couldn't be there in person. GREAT work!! Lisa C.

Gail said...

I think if you listen closely you can hear me snoring in that picture. I was soo tired. Love the picture of the waiter. MISS YOU....

Smegal Sue