Tuesday, June 2, 2009

BEAD AND BUTTON: DAY 3

A bracelet that I soldered together in class, with bronze pieces that I brought from home.


Today I had a soldering class that was run by Rio Grande in Albuquerque.  Their classes are always good, but this one was a real education for me.  I had been having trouble soldering bronze wire, no matter what I did I just couldn't make it work.  The instructor, Mark, asked me some questions about how I'd been doing it and then in a matter of fact way, told me I'd been using the wrong solder for the job.  A small sounding thing probably, but it was such a huge thing for me.  I tried using the solder he suggested and voila!, just like that I'm a bronze soldering queen.  Ok, not really, but it was so much better than I had been doing it.  Honestly, I know I'm a geek, but that one little piece of information was worth the price of the class to me!  
I had a fun day and another great evening with Gail, Gigi, Henriette, and Karen.  I couldn't ask for more fun people to spend time with.  Tomorrow, I have a day off from classes.  I'm going to see a bit of Milwaukee for once and and maybe help some friends set up their booths.  Tomorrow night is the Meet the Teachers event, where all of the show's instructors have tables and sell their kits and meet and greet with all of the crazy show attendees.  It's always an interesting people watching evening.  

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Isn't it great when it's not something YOU'VE been doing wrong, but it's the stuff you've been working with that's not right! That's why I love taking classes--SO much to learn. Glad you enjoyed your class--and don't forget, classes are offered all weekend long and there are still spots available! Check at the registration desk on the third floor at the Midwest Airlines Center for more information. To see the class list, go to BeadAndButtonShow.com.