Sunday, October 6, 2013

COLORS OF EARLY FALL

 Oak leaf Hydrangea

 Autumn Joy Sedum

 Miscanthus

Tomatoes

Today the weather was cold and rainy. It felt like fall is really here. Something different in the air.  I love fall, but these early days always make me a little melancholy. I suppose it feels like the end of something instead of the beginning of something.  Soon, the sky will be blue, the air will be crisp and hopefully we'll have  a really long Indian summer. That's fall in the Midwest. I wish everyone could experience fall the way we do in places where the seasonal change is obvious. The smell of the air, sweaters, pumpkins, apples, the gold of harvested fields against a crystal blue sky. All of these things are a beautiful part of the place that I grew up.
Today I picked what may be the last of the produce from the garden. All that was left were lcouple of eggplant, the rest of the basil and a bunch of tomatoes. Maybe it'll stay warm enough for a few more tomatoes. That would be a bonus.

No comments: