Friday, August 22, 2008

TREK TO TUCSON

         Anne in a lovely Daniel Boone hat      

          Cowgirl Gail,  Get Along Little Doggies!

   Bria wearing....I really don't know what she's wearing !
                                             

I was in Tucson last week visiting my excellent friend, Anne Mitchell.  Anne is a metalsmith extraordinaire and an even better friend.  She invited myself, Gail, and Stacey for a long weekend in the desert.  Except for weather delays and Stacey not being able to make it at the last minute, we had a wonderful time.  We were joined by the lovely Bria for much of the weekend, which was such a treat.  We swam and played war games in Anne's pool with water cannons, ate great Mexican food, watched the Olympics and laughed and laughed and laughed!  We also spent a lot of time playing with metal.  Gail and I showed Anne and Bria some of what we learned about BronzClay at the workshop at Purdue.  They made very cool things.  I was really impressed with Bria, who had never made anything with metal clay before.  She made so many things, all with a lot of imagination.  It's fun to watch people learn new things.  

For a while I thought the heat might get the best of poor Gail, who had never experienced the Tucson heat, let alone Tucson in the summer!  She was a real trooper, but I really hope to get back there with her in the winter when the desert is at it's best for us midwesterners!  I lived in Tucson some years back and have spent a lot of time there since, but I've never learned to handle the intense summer sun.  I burn in about 30 seconds!  I really do love it there though.
The time passed quickly, as it always does when you are having fun, and before we knew it, it was time to head home to Paul, Max and Sophie.  I hope I get to see them all again soon.  There's nothing like hanging around with fun, creative people.  Thanks again Anne!

No comments: