Tuesday, August 26, 2008

OTHER-WORLDLY VISITORS



I was in the garden today pulling weeds, oh so many weeds, when I had two visitors.  The first little fellow landed on my shoulder with such a thud that he gave me quite a start!  I wonder what folks who live in other parts of the world where there aren't cicadas, would think of these amazing beings?  They are truly a sight to behold.  The noise they make is like something from the X-Files.  We always know that the dog days of summer have arrived when the racket starts.  After a while you don't notice it anymore, which is a good thing, because otherwise I think it could drive you crazy!  
My second visitor was this lovely woodchuck, whom I'll call Chuck.  I was sitting on the ground beneath one of our tall ornamental grasses pulling trumpet vines that had snuck into the the plant when Chuck poked his head under the fence and looked at me.  I, of course issued the universal warning meant to strike terror into any creatures heart, "SHOO! SHOO!".  I know, I'm fierce aren't I?  My stern warning seemed to have no effect on Chuck, who seemed intent on getting past me so that he could steal one of my tomatoes.  After I yelled at him a few more times he got tired of me and retreated to the other side of the fence.  I saw him peeking at me a few more times and I swear he was scowling at me!  Later, when I was back in the house, I saw Chuck through the bedroom window and I took his picture.  I have had run-ins with Chuck's kind before.  They like to dig holes under your house that can actually undermine the foundation and cause massive cracks.  A few years ago a family of woodchucks built their condo beneath my neighbors garage and caused cracks 3 inches wide in the foundation.  When they decided then dug a tunnel under my garage, I got a live-trap and relocated them all to the woods where we were all happier.  Looks like it's time to get the Woodchuck Relocation Program going again.  I'm beginning to feel a little like Bill Murray in Caddyshack.

No comments: