Wednesday, April 14, 2010

GOODNESS GRACIOUS, GREAT BALLS OF FIRE

Ok, this isn't it, but I thought we needed a visual.

Meteorites in Iowa's history.


About an hour ago, I was watching the news with Paul. I happened to glance out the window and just then I saw a really bright light in the northern sky. At first I thought it was the University's medical helicopter. I told Paul that it was way too low and I sort of braced for an explosion. Thankfully that never came, but I couldn't figure out what it was. There was no noise, just a really large bright light. About 5 minutes later the news reported that people all over Iowa had seen it and now on Google News it's being reported that it was a large meteor that broke up over the Midwest. It was seen all over Iowa, Illinois and Wisconsin.
When I was searching Google tonight, I found some cool stuff about about meteors in Iowa. In February 25, 1847, the Iowa legislature (at the capital, which was at that time in Iowa City) was signing the bill that established the University of Iowa. As they were signing it they were startled by very loud explosions to the north. It turns out that a large meteor broke up over Linn County causing the commotion. The meteor, now known as the Marion Meteor is on display at the Old Capital. I think I'll go over and look at it.

No comments: