Thursday, October 2, 2008

INTO THIN AIR


I was really sorry to hear about Steve Fossett today.  The wreckage of his plane, along with human remains was finally recovered today in the mountains of California after it's disappearance over a year ago.  Fossett was a business man turned adventurer who held many world records in aviation and sailing.  He was the first person to circumnavigate the globe in a balloon and the first solo, non-stop, unrefueled flight around the world in a single-engine fixed wing aircraft.  He climbed mountains, cross-country skied around the world, raced in the Iditarod, ran marathons and triathlons, along with all of his aviation feats.  
I always liked him for his adventurous spirit.  I liked that he seemed like an unremarkable guy who attempted to do extremely remarkable things.  I guess I knew that he was dead last year when he went missing.  I remember reading once that he walked 30 miles in the wilderness after he had to make an emergency landing on one of his flights.  I was hoping that somehow he survived and had amnesia or something.  Silly, I know.  It's just that the world needs all of the people with boundless energy, imagination and 'can do' spirit that it can get right now.  

No comments: