The acid etched bracelet that I flung onto the floor. Too bad I didn't think to take it's picture before I removed all the goo. It was not pretty.
Some resin filled hearts that I think will be a sweet little class at Bead Haven in a month or so.
A couple of years ago my friend Gail and I were in a class being taught by my friend Anne Mitchell. We were fusing fine silver (think molten hot silver wire) when Gail had a spaz moment and a really hot piece of silver flew out of her tweezers. The trajectory of the searing piece of silver was dead on for Anne, who was standing there talking to us. Now, Anne is a fairly mellow person, but I have to say I've never seen her move that fast. She grabbed a pair of tweezers, picked the thing up, all while contorting her body in such a way as to stay out of it's path. Cat-like reflexes for sure! I'm not sure if it was lack of sleep or what, but this was one of the most hilarious things that I've ever seen. Anne's classes were in that very same classroom this year and by golly, the carpet in that room still bears the scorchy scar of that day!
Well, today I actually did a very similar thing. I was using a torch to heat patina a brass cuff bracelet during an acid etching class. The darn thing flew off of my tweezers onto the carpet. I don't know how I did it, but I got it off of the floor with the tweezers before it could leave a scorch mark, but not before it melted polypropylene all over the surface of the bracelet that I'd just made. It took me the better part of an hour to get the melty goo off of the bracelet and the fumes made me a little woozy! I don't suggest you do this. It's always great to be so smooth in class when you're the teacher. So Gail, sorry for laughing at you. I too am officially joining the spaz club.
On a nicer (and safer too!) note, check out the hearts pictured above. These will be a fun little class at Bead Haven soon.